LILO -- how to get it to boot another distro on another disk?

Hey all,

I've been whining about this on #debian, and my initial problem got
solved thanks to the help I got there.

So, what I have is:

* Debian, as my main system, on /dev/hda
* Fedora, which I installed yesterday as a test system, on /dev/hdb,
with its /boot-partition as /dev/hdb1 and its root partition
as /dev/hdb3

lilo.conf contains this:

image=/mnt/fedora/boot/vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
	initrd=/mnt/fedora/boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
	label=Fedora
	append="root=/dev/hdb3"

Basically, all should be well, and it is, accept, after
running /sbin/lilo, this:

"Fatal: Kernel /mnt/fedora/boot/vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl is too big"

I can imagine that the stock Fedora kernel contains lots of drivers I
don't need, but how, then, do I go about booting it? The LILO manual
tells me te recompile and get rid of unneeded drivers, but if I can't
boot into Fedora, how can I recompile a kernel for it to use?

Something else that came to mind, was to just boot the kernel I use with
Debian, but then I'd have to use the modules of that, too -- which
seems strange, since I would have to provide the root partition of
Fedora to get Fedora running.

Could anyone please give me a clue? I know most of my problem is caused
by a lack of understanding, but still, I was hoping someone could help
me out here, since reading the manual doesn't enlighten this tiny brain
of mine.

To make things clear: I don't really care what boot loader I'm using; if
GRUB would be a solution, that's OK. I'd just like to be able to run
both systems when starting my computer...

Greets,
Tom