Re: RAID performance

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:30:13AM +0100, Pete Clarke wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am about to upgrade my file server, and have a question for you good
> people :-)
>
> I will be installing 4 120gb EIDE ATA133 drives, would I get better
> performance by mounting each one individually, or by RAID0ing them?
>
> Backup is taken care of, so redundancy is not a problem, also I will be
> using ext3 (unless someone can suggest something better, but that's all I
> have experiience of).
> The file sizes are small to medium in general, but some are over 1 - 2gb
> (not many).

You will get MUCH better performance by RAIDing them together. As long
as backup is taken care of, you'll theoretically, get 4 times the
performance by having them set up as RAID0. (Theoretically. In
practice, it'll be closer to 2x most likely. Also depending on if you
do software or hardware RAID.)

As for filesystems, I personally prefer ReiserFS, but that's just
personal preference. If you're comfortable with ext3, then by all
means use ext3.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837