Re: Debian has turned unusable.

Trollcollect <trollcollect@yahoo.de> writes:

> after 3 days of twiddling with a "recent" copy of debians woody
> release i need to vent a bit of the anger and frustration that this
> distribution has caused.

That's nice.  Submit patch or piss off.

> overall totally outdated and useless versions of libraries and
> software.

http://www.backports.org/
Sorry you couldn't be bothered to ask questions or learn about Debian
while you were on the mailing list.  You probably should have
subscribed sometime before you decided to stop using Debian.

> I then tried to figure out how to update those packages i need in
> recent versions. As i know KDE from Solaris, i trust enough in their
> own QA procedure to consider their 3.2.1 stable enough for
> usage. Why debian believes KDE 2.0 is more stable, or even usable at
> all, is beyond my understanding.

Because KDE2 is usable.

> However it turned out that i could not update only selected packages
> easily. In fact neither of dselect or apt-get seemed to have a
> method to do this in a sensible way.

Because you're probably asking it to install incompatible versions of
software, or failing to judiciously use --force-something.

> Now it MAY well be that i am just an idiot who is not capable of
> doing this, however i asked in a few linux related channels and also
> at work, noone could tell me how to set up a half-way decent debian
> without compromising the pkg system. Sure many told me to build it
> all by hand but then, without the packaging system what good is
> debian?

The configuration is still sane even without the package management.
You don't have to use some distro-specific tool to set things up.
It's the only distro that runs on 13 architectures.  You can install
Debian on a 386 with 16MB of RAM and 100MB of disk and *still* have
space for /home.  3rd party Debian packages, even packages for other
.deb-based distros, Just Work(tm) in other Debian-based distros.  What
more reasons do you need?

> I hope that whoever is responsible for the direction debian is
> steering to currently thinks about the target of the whole
> distribution, which is to provide users with a decent linux system
> that comes stable, yet with all neccessary parts to be competetive
> among other distributions.

We have thought about the direction.  That's why Debian is the fastest
growing distribution out there.  Sorry you decided you don't want to
be part of that.

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.ca>