re:Another ALSA post

OK, I have figured a little more out.  Damn, I wish I had taken a
course on this in college or something, it's tough to learn on your
own.  Thanks for your help

THe kernel source would naturally be 2.4.18, not as I thought
2.4.28-bf2.4.

I have since found how to apt-get and install a different kernel image
other than bf2.4, and was running one with SMP and optimized for
686.

However, my goofey attempts at making the alsa module and a custom
kernel really made the compiler wacky, and I foresee another
reinstall in my future, unless I can figure out how to reset
everything -- for example, I apt-get remove'd the alsa-source, then
reinstalled, but debconf didn't pop up, and as far as my kernel is
concerned there is nothing to configure.

I am not learning by leaps and bounds but rather dribbles.

Again, thanks for the help, it would be a lost effort without some
aid...in a few days I think I may have it!
----