Re: networking problem with 2.6.4 kernel [was: Re: 2.6.4 kernel install wants to remove current kernel]

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 02:11:24PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> | on Mon, 12 Apr 2004 02:02:06PM -0400, J F insinuated:
> | > I don't have a specific answer to your problem,
> | > but using aptitude seems to ease upgrade problems.
> | > Also, having testing, unstable, and stable all in
> | > /etc/apt/sources.list seems to get aptitude
> | > to converge on a working solution.
> |
> | yeah, i do have all of them in there.  i'm relatively new to aptitude,
> | and have never been a convert, specifically because every time i try
> | to install any one thing with it, it wants to upgrade the rest of my
> | system and install at least 50 new packages.
>
> Big picture :
>     apt normally prefers the version of a package with the biggest number
>     aptitude in woody defaults to 'Aptitude::Auto-Upgrade "true"'
>
> As a result, when you have woody installed, have sarge (and/or sid) in
> apt's sources list, and you run aptitude, then aptitude wants to
> upgrade your system to sarge (and/or sid).
>
> I assume, from your comments, that you don't want that.  There are
> several factors at play here and you can choose what specific
> semantics you want.  I'll explain by telling about my system.
>
> I generally follow sarge, but not infrequently install packages from
> sid.  I like to see what version is in what release with 'apt-cache
> policy'.  Sometimes I don't want to upgrade all upgradeable packages
> when I run aptitude in "gui" mode.  As a result I have the following
> setup :
>     1)  woody, sarge, sid all listed in apt's source list
>     2)  sarge preferred, followed by the installed version, followed
>             by woody, and never prefer sid specified in /etc/apt/prefereces.
>     3)  aptitude version from sarge, with 'Aptitude::Auto-Upgrade "false"'
>             (default in that version)
>
> I recommend using the aptitude in sarge over the one in woody because
> it works correctly (usefully/conveniently) with Auto-Upgrade set to
> false.  (the woody version changes the 'auto' flag to 'manual' when
> choosing to upgrade a package unless Auto-Upgrade chose to upgrade it)
>
> Also take a look at documentation regarding apt's preferences files.
>
> | i probably don't have it
> | synched with something or other -- probably related to the error i see
> | whenever i start it up:
> |
> |                     Apt errors
> |     W: Can't open Aptitude extended status file
>
> I've never seen this message (that I recall).  My first guess, though,
> is that you ran aptitude as a non-root user and as a result didn't
> have permission to create /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates.
>
> HTH,
> -D

Also, you can press F10 to bring up the menu
and press "right cursor move" ("->") twice to highlight
OPtions and then "down cursor move" key to highlight
Miscellaneous  and press spacebar on
to remove [X] before phrase:
"Automatically upgrade install Packages" .
You can then search for the broken package by
typing:
/konqueror
which would find the konqueror package.
Type "carriage return" to see the things that
it depends on or conflicts with.
Type "?" for help.
Type "+" to upgrade or '=" to hold
at the current version of a package.