Re: Knoppix autoconfig for workstations

John Harrold wrote:
Is it possible to use knoppix's autoconfiguration utilities with debian on
workstations. this way i can avoid mucking around with:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I am writing from memory here, because I got rid of my Knoppix remaster partition, but Klaus Knoppix did quite a masterly thing when booting from his CD: he uses just one script that he boots with and then he only starts X from /etc/init.d that figures all this stuff out.

I don't think it would be an easy task to convert his scripts, because you won't be booting like that. It's the reason that Knoppix installed on a HD is not nearly as interesting as Knoppix from a CD: it no longer has the autodetect features in it and is Debian with a jillion packages on it from all over the place.

Hugo