Re: pppd not able to authenticate using pap-secrets

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 11:19:28PM +0530, Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> I'm trying to use kppp to dial in to my isp. Problem is, even though the
> username and password are stored in pap-secrets file, pppd is unable to
> use it. /var/log/syslog says:
>
> Apr 10 07:29:04 modak pppd[967]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself

Your setup is requiring the remote system to authenticate itself to you.
This is probably not what you want.  Most of the setups I am familiar
with, the ISP requires you to auth to them, but they don't auth to you.
This is what you are asking it to do.

It has been a while since I used ppp, but re-read the documentation---you
are looking for the auth/noauth option to specify on your connection to
your ISP. Last time I used ppp, this would be in a file in (e.g.)
/etc/ppp/peers/<provider-name>

HTH