Re: Problems with X 4.3.0

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 09:47:29AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> > for example), no text is displayed. It looks as if the monitor is not
> > switched back to text mode or is in an invalid frequency range, because I
> > see some lines moving everywhere on the screen but no text. However, I can
> > type commands and they are executed (I know because, for example, I can
> > "shutdown -r now") but I have no idea why I can't see the text... And I can
> > switch back to X with Ctrl-Alt-F7 just fine.
> >

> [snip]
>
> I brought this one up here a few weeks ago, and someone pointed out that
> the problem seems to be related to xmodmap. I'm not sure if it is all
> .xmodmap files or just the one I have, but in my case either I do
> without xmodmap, or I can't switch to text terminals (and can't exit X
> with Crtl-Alt-Del). If you look back in the archive a few weeks ago you
> will see the thread.
>
> Anthony

Same here, I had the same problem, culdn switch back to console, the
problem lasted for quite a while because I thought it was due to
dropping the ati binary driver. Until one day that my wife complained
about having to read her email in mutt, and I opned an account for
her, with mozilla mail. Then I noticed that from her account I could
switch back to console. The only difference seemed to be an xmodmap
that I loaded at login ... It got me to experiment with xmodmap. I can
tell you the following: Now I load xmodmap, but one that uses no key
modification, the only keys that I miss are questiondown (¿),
exclamdown (¡) and gillemots («,»). But the trade so far is fine: I
can get back to console, which is very important for me.