debian menu sorting does not work anymore

  I added the custom sorting to my debian menu configuration, it used
to work but some time ago it stopped working.

  I have the following in the /etc/menu-methods/menu.h:

# item first, submenu later:
# sort=ifelse($command, "0", "1" ) ":$title"
sort=ifelse($priority, $priority, "99")

  and here's an example of sorted menu entry:

jojda:~> cat /etc/menu/xterm
?package(xterm):\
 needs=x11\
 section="/"\
 longtitle="Xterm: terminal emulator for X"\
 title=Xterm\
 priority="01"\
 command="xterm -fg green -bg black" \
 icon="/usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/wterm.xpm"

  any ideas why this does not work anymore (the xterm item is just
alphabetically sorted, appears last instead of first).

  system:

    debian unstable
    unsorted menu in fvwm
    unsorted menu in pdmenu