Re: Can't use GUI as root

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 07:34:32PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Toshiro
> I'm on ppc Debian.
>
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 00:50, Toshiro wrote:
> > I'm running sid and I can login to root from the console but when I try to
> > startx if fails, the same happens with the graphical login manager. I don't
> > have any problem using a normal user.
> >
> > Anybody know what's the problem?
>
> /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and/or /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
>
> If you change there this
> AllowRoot=false
> AllowRoot=true
>
> then you should be able to login as root, IINM.

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to log in as root. Not very smart. What I
want is to be able to open a gui editor as root for an Xserver run by a
regular user.

I found the solution for wdm though, setting
DisplayManager._0.authorize:    false
in /etc/X11/wdm/wdm-config and setting
-
local:
in /etc/X0.hosts
Still a bit lax but ok for single user machines.
I probably need to learn how to use xauth for better security.