Re: serial mouse under debian/sarge, 2.6.4

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 huize858@wxs.nl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this problem: for a new printer I'm about to buy, I need to free
> the usb plug; So I now have to make my debian box use a serial mouse.
>
> I attached the configuration files knoppix built; I tried putting those
> into my real /etc/X11 directory but still the mouse won't work. In
> knoppix the
>
> Can anybody tell me how to configure X so it'll use the mouse? I can't
> even find how to start the configuring program the base-config gave me
> when I installed for the first time... :-(
> I have little experience with X configuration and none with serial mice
> so... I need a hand here
> If you need more configuration files please tell me which ones?

my InputDevice Section looks like this,
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
 Driver      "mouse"
 Option      "CorePointer"
 Option      "Device"             "/dev/ttyS0"
 Option      "Protocol"           "Microsoft"
 Option      "Emulate3Buttons"    "true"
 Option      "ZAxisMapping"       "4 5"

also when you compile the kernel,
make sure Devic Driver -> Input device support -> Serial mouse
is enabled, or at least a module.
and Device Driver -> Character devices -> Serial Drivers ->
8250/16550 and compatible serial support was enable and
it worked for me.

find out if it has already been enabled by your current
kernel in your /boot/config

hth

- stderr(Mindanao)