Re: [fixed] Re: hangs on Nforce2 & kernel 2.6.4

Pim Bliek wrote:
On Thursday 08 April 2004 20:49, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

Does your drive perform better in udma5 than in udma3? or is
performance the same?

I cannot test in udma5, since it will crash my system :)
However, here is my output in udma3 on a WD IDE disk with 8 MB cache:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1820 MB in  2.00 seconds = 909.23 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   72 MB in  3.06 seconds =  23.53 MB/sec

Could be better I guess...

Pim

I also have a WD drive wiht 8 MB cache:

$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/hda
Password:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1740 MB in  2.00 seconds = 869.26 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  140 MB in  3.02 seconds =  46.32 MB/sec

Looks like you may be loosing performance in disk reads.  It may also
be worthwhile for you to investigate disabling apic.  Also consider
reporting your lower UDMA mode solution to Andrew Morton on LKML.

As I recal Andrew has worked on trying to trying to fix the nForce/AMD
crash bug.  I don't recall (though it has been a while) the discussions
ever considering DMA.

-Roberto Sanchez