Re: package removal

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Sebastiaan wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Chris Metzler wrote:
> > > For something to be removed, you have to answer "y" to the question
> > > of whether you want them to be.  Presumably, you did.
> > >
> > true, and I was intending to reinstall it after the upgrade was complete.
> >
> > Problem is: apt doesn't allow you to choose which packages are not to
> > removed: it's either all or nothing. Choosing "n" will cause apt to abort
> > the upgrade, so that wasn't really an option.
>
> When I see something like that I break out of apt and then will do
> something like "hold" the package.  But truly if it was a conflict
> then that won't work.
>
>   echo xv hold | dpkg --set-selections

that was the option I was looking for!

> If you really need xv specifically then you can always get the latest
> rpm of it from the xv site and alien translate it and install it.  I
> think I needed the alien from sid to do a good job with this
> translation but recent alien versions worked well.

> Without trying to start a debate I suggest that instead of xv you
> might try these image viewers.  They are free software and avoid the
> entanglements of xv's copyright.
>
>   xview  -- in the xloadimage package
>   feh    -- what can I say but that I like it
>
> If you are using xv to grab images then:
>
>   import -- in the imagemagick package
>
> And searching with apt will of course turn up more.
>
>   apt-cache search image viewer
>
> Bob

thanks for the suggestions! I will take a look at those.

Greetz,
Sebas

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)