Re: udev and CD or DVD drives

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:03:09AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
| At 2004-04-07T15:01:54Z, "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman+yahoo@dman13.dyndns.org> writes:
|
| > Do you, by any chance, have the file /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
| > (or something very similar)?
|
| Hmmm, you may be onto something.  I don't have /dev/scsi at all, although my
| CDROM *is* visible under /sys:
|
|     kirk@pooh:/dev% cat /sys/bus/scsi/devices/0:0:4:0/model
|     CD-ROM DR-766

Odd.

| Should my IDE CDROM and DVD be visible under /dev/ide or similar?

Yes.  Well, if the IDE driver is the one handling it.  If a scsi
driver is handling it, then it should appear under /dev/scsi.

Say, are you using the ide-scsi module?  Maybe there is something odd
with that module.

I am not (any more) using the ide-scsi emulation.  I have an IDE CDROM
and an IDE CD-RW drive.  My /dev looks like :
    ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd      (actual device node)
    ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd      (actual device node)
    cdroms/cdrom0   -> ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd
    cdroms/cdrom1   -> ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd
    cdroms/0        -> cdrom0
    cdroms/1        -> cdrom1
    cdrom           -> cdroms/0
    cdrw            -> cdroms/1

The first four files are created automatically by udev.  The last four
are created by entries in /etc/udev/links.conf.

One characteristic you'll notice of udev (and the way debian packages
it) is that it uses a devfs-like naming scheme by default.  I suspect
that is simply because the devfs scheme already exists, some systems
are already using it, and its the quickest/easiest migration path.

HTH,
-D

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp: a billion different
    sublanguages in one monolithic executable.