Re: high system cpu usage, no culprit in top

On April 7, 2004 05:09 pm, Ken Gilmour wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:21:07 -0700, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >40 GB IBM 60GXP Hard Drive
> >40 GB Western Digital 400JB 8MB Cache Hard drive
>
> Aha! Both on the same IDE cable?
>
> If they are, try switching it to having one on each cable, if you only
> have two IDE bays on your motherboard try putting the CD rom / rw
> whatever on one cable with one hard drive and the other hard drive on
> the other cable on its own or with another CD rom / dvd / whatever.

Well they are on the same cable..  Which I know is suboptimal for
performance reasons but it shouldn't have anything to do with my problem
of cpu usage.  The cpu is pegged at 100% even when the system is totally
idle.  And I'm pretty sure it started when I upgraded to 2.6.  Everything
was fine running the 2.4 series...

~leo