Re: high system cpu usage, no culprit in top

On April 7, 2004 08:35 am, Justin Guerin wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has seen anything like this.  Here's a copy of
> top:

<snip>

> My CPU is 100% utilized, but no processes seem to be using the CPU.  I
> can't seem to figure out what's causing the load.  I know that something
> is, though, because xscreensaver is running very slow.
>
> I've noticed that when I log out of my KDE desktop, the load goes away.
> When I log back in, it comes back, though not right away.  I can't
> figure out what process is causing the problem, though.
>
> Note that, though X doesn't appear in this top output, it has be reniced
> to 0 (from -10).  I'm running kernel 2.6.4 on Sid.  My last upgrade was
> only a couple of weeks ago, so I'm pretty up to date.

Since we seem to have basically the same problem (I haven't noticed any
correlation with me starting KDE but otherwise the symptoms are the side.
To my naive logic, this smells like a misbehaving driver of some sort
(since most of the cpu usage is system).  Could you list your hardware?
Maybe we share a common component.

Thanks,
Leo

MSI KT266a Pro2 Motherboard
256MB DDR266 RAM
Athlon XP 1600+
52x LG CD Burner
Diamond Monster MX400 Sound Card (maestro ess1978 in alsa)
Also some sort of Via onboard sound that I'm not using (module
via82cxxx_audio)
RealTek RTL8139 10/100 Ethernet
3Com OfficeConnect 10/100 Ethernet (or something like that.  it uses the
tulip driver and dmesg says "ADMtek Comet rev 49"  The module is loaded
but I'm not actually using the card)
40 GB IBM 60GXP Hard Drive
40 GB Western Digital 400JB 8MB Cache Hard drive