dm-linear: Device lookup failed (uname -r = 2.6.3-1-386)

I am using Sarge on a x86 (amd) and the 2.6.3-1-386 kernel.  When I
boot my kernel I get some errors like this (copied from  dmesg)

device-mapper: 4.0.0-ioctl (2003-06-04) initialised: dm@uk.sistina.com
device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
device-mapper: error adding target to table
device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
device-mapper: error adding target to table

Should I worry about this?

Can I provide useful data material?

According to google this is an serious error. Someone got the
following answer on the Linux-lwm list:

 This is a serious error, it means that device mapper was asked to
 instance a linear mapping across a non-existent device.  Could you
 turn on verbose logging in the LVM2 tools, and try and find out which
 LV is failing to activate please ?

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2004-March/msg00042.html

However I guess that there is no easy route to lvm2 from me (whatever
lvm2 is :)

 Though LVM2 is currently stable, it is not yet recommended for
 production use. It is backwards-compatible with LVM1 (lvm10), and
 requires Linux kernel 2.4.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/lvm2

             Thanks in advance for any hints

                       Niels

PS: At the moment my alsa, and bootlogd do not work. Furthermore I
cannot use any xfree-xserver with a higher that is newer than the one
from stable.  But all these problems are probably unrelated to the
kernel messages, and rather a sign that I have messed up something
else :)

--
Niels L Ellegaard  http://dirac.ruc.dk/~gnalle/