Re: uname -m and arch on athlon64

Matthew N Cheely wrote:

> I was poking around the other day, and discovered that uname -m and
> /bin/arch both return my machine architecture as i686, despite the fact
> that I'm running an athlon64 system. Shouldn't they return k8?

I have an Athlon XP, with a custom kernel compiled for Athlons, and uname -m
returns "i686" for me as well (though it should probably say "K7").

According to the uname info page:

"Some systems provide a mechanism to interrogate the kernel directly for
this information.  On systems without such a mechanism, the GNU C library
fills in this field based on the configuration name that was specified when
building and installing the library."

Perhaps it is getting it from libc6?

Adam