Re: AMD vs. Intel

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 12.44, martin f krafft wrote:
> I am a huge fan of AMD, not only because their processors are
> cheaper.
>
> Recently, however, I have experienced random crashes on two machines
> that run AMDs. The crashes seem to be related to IO and happen
> usually when there is a lot of disk activity. The disks themselves
> are fine, though, and also the controller appears without problems.
>
> Thus I am logically considering chipset and processor. I can hardly
> imagine that this is a problem with AMD, but I would like to know
> from you success and failure stories of AMD processors and Linux.

Have you checked your RAM?

apt-get install memtest+

Add the following to /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo:
  image=/boot/memtest86+.bin
      label=memtest86+

Reboot and run the memtest.

I had dozens of crashes and weird filesystem errors and it all went away
when I limited the ammount of RAM with a mem=xxxM kernel parameter after
finding the bad areas in the RAM with memtest+. All my RAM errors appear
on a noname RAM module, a lesson learned.

I also tried patching my kernel with kernel-patch-badram but I never got
linux to boot when using the badram parameter in lilo.

Olle