Re: sid: udev dependency problem

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:53:21 +0200
Martin Lorenz <martin@lorenz.eu.org> wrote:

> The following occurs when I try to install a new version of udev...
> seems to be caused by 'initscripts', which is - I have no idea why - not
> installed on my system...
>
> not sure if I should file a bug. seems too trivial a problem to me?!

		[ apt-get stuff deleted ]

So, if I'm following you, you don't have initscripts -- a "Priority:
required" package -- installed at all.  Also, you have the package
"mount-aes" (whatever that is -- there's *NO* Debian package by that
name, according to p.d.o) instead of "mount".

This looks to me like you're not really running Debian/sid at all,
despite your choice of "Subject:" lines; and instead are running some
"related-to-Debian" distribution like Knoppix or Morphix or something
like that.  If so, you need to say that when posing questions, since
distros like Knoppix use an odd set of packages that draws from all
the various Debian distros (stable, testing, unstable, and possibly
experimental) as well as packages that aren't part of Debian at all.
People here might bang their head against a wall trying to wrap their
minds around some odd problem you're having, and the reason it's so
odd to them is that you're not running Debian.

At any rate, I don't see anything in what you posted that implies
a Debian bug.  You're trying to install udev out of sid.  udev
needs initscripts, and you don't have initscripts installed.  Maybe
you didn't get it out of the Knoppix/Morphix/whatever install; maybe
its functionality is in some other, oddly-specific-to-your-distro
package (like "mount-aes" apparently includes the functionality of
Debian's "mount" package), and Debian's "udev" package doesn't know
that this other package provides "initscripts."  If I'm right, and
you're running (or started with) some other Debian-derived distro,
then you probably want to talk to the people using or providing
that distro:  you're getting a very odd system state out of their
install, and Knoppix/Morphix/whatever folks are probably going to
know more about the non-standard set of packages and versions they
use, and which you currently have installed.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)