fixed rate audio

Hi, the motherboard in the PC I've just build and installed Debian on
has a built in VIA 82Cxx audio processor.  These seem to operate at
a fixed sample rate of 48k/s and the rate cannot be changed at the
driver level.  So I need somehow to "plug" or "hook" all invocations
of sox to include the "-r <RATE>" option before the name of the output
device (if the output is in fact a device and not another file).  This
would have to be automated because sox is invoked behind my back all
the time by commands like saydate, saytime or my window manager.  But
sox' option syntax makes this hard :-(

Anyone here who has dealt with the issue successfully?  Thanks