Von: Bill Kalebaugh [mailto:billk@lvnworth.com]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 4. April 2004 16:01
An: User Debian-List
Betreff: Linux Server, Please Help

I want to change my Windows server to a Linux server but can not find
out what programs
to use or if it is possible.

I have goggled and looked at a lot of how-tos but I can not find out if
I can set up a server to replace
the proxy server I have now running windows-98, proxy+, and Sygate
Personal Firewall.

The proxy server is a Pentium 200Mhz with 32MB of ram with a 2GB hard
drive hooked to a dial-up
56K modem. It feeds a LAN through a hub. On the LAN is a network
printer, and other computers
running, Windows 2000, Windows98, Linux-Debian and Linux-Suse8.2. All on
the LAN have fixed
IP addresses and the ISP is obtained automatically.

My ISP lets you have 6 different mail accounts, so I have two accounts
and my wife has her one
email address.

The proxy server will auto dial and get mail at a predetermined time
frames form the ISP with out the
other computers turned on. When I come up on a Linux computer I get my
email and surf the web
with Mozilla or my wife can come up on Windows2000 with Mozilla and will
the do the same. We
also surf at the at the same time.

Is there any free software out there for Linux-Debian that will let me
do this. Or do I have to stay
with W-98 for a server.

If any one can give me a list of software I need and briefly how to do
it. Please let me know so I
Can get rid of Windows.

Thanks
Bill Kalebaugh