sarge install problems

I am installing sarge onto my dell 8600 laptop with problems.  I have one
60 gig harddrive and my partition table looks as follows in the installer:
#1 primary 41mb (some dell utilities)
#2 primary 31gb  (to be ntfs windows xp partition)
#3 primary 20gb ext3 /
#5 logical 123.3mb ext3 /boot (boot flag set to active)
#6 logical 1250mb  swap
#7 logical 7.5gb fat32 (to be shared between windows and linux)

I write the partition table without incident and then I install the base
system.  But when I select to install lilo as the boot loader it seems to
ignore my request.  One time i got it in there but you can't select /boot
it is some funky stuff like /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part?  I
don't understand this and I need to be careful about not screwing up the
existing dell partition.  I tried grub on (hd0, 3) assuming that was /boot
but that seemed to fail as well.  I would like to dual boot from lilo to
linux or xp.  Obviously I need help????

thanks
-wex