Re: Why do I need mkinitrd with 2.6?

On Monday 05 April 2004 10:11 pm, grzes@wimbledon.ac.uk wrote:
I get the following from /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/readme:

4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
      (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
      sudo are examples that come to mind).  NOTE: if you have
      instructed your boot loader to expect initrd kernels (which is
      the norm for recent official kernel image packages) you need to
      add --initrd to the line above, and make sure that you have
      applied the cramfs initrd patch to the kernel sources (or
      modified mkinitrd config not to create a cramfs initrd). The
      cramfs initrd patch is shipped with Debian kernel sources.

When my first kernel 2.6.4 wouldn't boot (like yours) I went back to this doc
and added --initrd as it says, then everything worked fine.