Sid and Root on Compact Flash ?

Hi All,

I've seen a number of 'HOWTO' documents on installing Debian on
Compact Flash, but most of the ones I've seen deal with installing
it once, and using stable.

Has anyone had any experience with using Sid, -and- keeping it
up to date with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade regularly ?

How long do the modern CF cards last before they need to be replaced ?
Most of these machines would be router || dns || ldap type machines -
ie small, dedicated for a particular job, rather than general purpose,
or graphics.

Any other tips ? I guess moving syslog to be over the network
might help, but I'd think the apt-getting would probably be more
costly in terms of CF life.

I'm thinking of migrating my home machines to the Mini-ITX factor,
and so was considering going all the way, and doing without a hard
drive in most cases.

(And yes, Im one of those nutters who like to have the leading
edge software)

Iain.