Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:52:43AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

> Anyone with half a brain can see what moronic thing the `Taiwan,
> Province of China' is.  It's the _only_ `editorial comment' in the
> entire list (all other comma-separated entries are simple prefixes which
> when used result in each country's full official name; the Taiwan entry
> doesn't really fit).

<snip>>
> There's a solution which angers no one except those who have already
> have abused the process:  just keep `Taiwan'.
>
> Debian can even make a standard if they want: editorial comments will be
> deleted.  Thus in the future, if Israel and Iran get tagged as `Israel,
> illegitimate zionist running dogs', and `Iran, dictatorship of evil'
> (and given the horse-trading that these standards reflect, I wouldn't
> be at all surprised), Debian's course will be clear.

What Miles says is the Right Thing.  Standards can be abused.  There
are many standards.

With the name "Taiwan" anyone can find the intended land mass on a
map of the Earth, and can infer what language setting are to be used.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.