Re: burning CDs, or, Ah, now ESR's rant makes sense . . .

on Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:38:14AM -0600, Kent West (westk@acu.edu) wrote:
> Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> >| >|

> Making progress . . .
>
> >westk[@westkent]:/home/westk:> sudo cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
> >Password:
> >Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a26 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> >J?rg Schilling
> >NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> >cdrecord
> >      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
> >      Please send bug reports and support requests to
> ><cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
> >      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> >version.
> >
> >scsidev: 'ATAPI'
> >devname: 'ATAPI'
> >scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> >Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> >Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
> >Warning: There may be fatal problems.
> >Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> >scsibus0:
> >        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX216E  ' 'PD01' Removable CD-ROM

<...>

> So my command to burn the ISO should be:
>
>  cdrecord -dao dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 foo.iso
>
> right?

Hopping in late (I went through a similar learning experience)...

I added:

 - "hdc=ide-scsi" to my GRUB menu-list:

    # kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=6 noapic hdc=ide-scsi

 - cdrecord -scanbus in my case provides:

    0,0,0     0) 'TEAC    ' 'DW-224E         ' '1.0A' Removable CD-ROM

 - I get 'tao' (track at once) as the recommended format.  Though I'm
   not sure of this.

 - At the advice of a friend, I add '-pad' to the command to ensure
   padding to an appropriate number of blocks.  Well-constructed ISOs
   shouldn't require this.

 - Many (most?) current drives support "burnfree", which is a CDR
   extension that has the drive compensate for the input buffer draining
   to zero.  After coastering a few disks, I've burned > 150 disks w/o
   problems (other than misplaced labels ;-).

My final command:

    sudo cdrecord -v driveropts=burnfree -dev 0,0,0 -pad -tao -eject <image>

Peace.

  TWikIWeThey: An experiment in collective intelligence.  Stupidity.  Whatever.
    Technical docs, discussion, reviews, opinion.
      http://twiki.iwethey.org/