Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

on Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 02:35:08PM -0500, Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Did you see that in announce? The next stable release is 13 cd's. That
> > just about prevents all people on 56kb modems (many in the so-called
> > "third" world) from downloading them and will I ever see the set if I
> > "order" them in Mexico by mail?
>
> The next stable release will also include CD images of the following
> sizes:
>
> 3 mb (download rest of installer and debian from net)
> 36 mb (download debian from net)
> 109 mb (includes full debian base system)
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Is there / will there be a floppy-based installation option?  Obviously
not a full installer, but something which can boot the target system and
bootstrap the remaining installation from there?

Granted, my current preferred method is

...from a booted Knoppix system.  But for legacy hardware with floppy
and a network link (eth, PLIP, SLIP, foo), useful.

Peace.

    Save Bob Edwards!  http://www.savebobedwards.com/