Re: /dev/psaux

Drogo Bumbleroot wrote:

I know I've got a PS2 mouse, but X-Windows is telling me it's not there...
From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu] Subject: Re: /dev/psaux

What kernel version? Perhaps you need to "modprobe psmouse"?

igloo:/dev# uname -a
Linux igloo 2.4.25-1-686 #1 Tue Feb 24 10:55:59 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Yes, the file is there

igloo:/dev# ls -l | grep psaux
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Mar 14  2002 psaux

The box is a basic woody install.  Then I altered my source.list file,
changing "stable" to "testing".  I assume that this is the way to upgrade to
sarge.  I installed x-windows-system.  Now I'm at this point where X doesn't
want to run, possibly due to the mouse.

This machine did run X on woody before.  It got reformatted as a Gentoo box,
then reformatted again to it's current state.

igloo:/dev# modprobe psmouse
modprobe: Can't locate module psmouse

Maybe "modprobe mousedev"? (You can run "modconf" and look for any mouse-looking drivers and try those. Also, using gpm would be a lot easier here than trying to start X after every little modprobe, in my opinion, but you'd need to configure gpm and X to work together to share the mouse.)

You think I should boot back into 2.4.18-bf2.4 or whatever it is...?

I'd try it; then if it works, do a "lsmod" to see what modules are loaded; then you might can try those modules on the newer kernel.

--
Kent