Re: Upgrading 2.4 to 2.6 kernel problems

Bill Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:32:11 +0200
Jaap Haitsma <jaap@haitsma.org> wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded my unstable system from kernel 2.4.25 to 2.6.4.
I still have a couple of minor problems.

<snip>

2. Just after loading all the modules the screen dims and characters turn from white to dark gray, which is very hard to read and all my virtual consoles are dimmed.

Thanks

Jaap

For what it's worth, I have this VC problem on my SID box as well. It
started after an apt-get dist-upgrade this weekend. However, before then I
was running the system on 2.6 without this problem so it may not be
related to the kernel. My suspicion is something in the ATI driver with
Xfree86 4.3 is causing it but I have not had the chance to track it down
far enough to make a bug report.
Not much help, but at least your not alone ;). When and if I find a
solution I'll post it to the list.

I don't think it's Xfree. With me the console gets dimmed during init before gdm gets loaded

Jaap