Re: X -window how can I start it?

Torbjörn Schultz wrote:

I am a real beginner. I have successfully, I hope, installed debian, just the base installation nothing more.

Which means you don't have the X Window System installed.

I am getting the two pormpts as user and root and the commands work etc. But I cant start X windows, I have trided startx but only to get a message that the command is unknown, I have also tried to use F7 and other F:s together with Alt. Nothing works.

You'll need to install the X Window System. There are several ways of doing that; the two easiest are below.

As root, type "apt-get install x-window-system"

As root, type "tasksel", then select the "X Window System" and perhaps "Desktop Environment".

Either one of these methods should get you a basic X Window System; after that, you can add other things.

--
Kent