Re: Critical: SCSI reset problem

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 15:45 +0000, Net Spamu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see the following on my console.
>
> SCSI host 1 abort (pid 1207191) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
> ncr53c8xx_reset: pid=1207191 reset_flags=2 serial_number=1207192
> serial_number_at_timeout=1207192
> SCSI host 1 abort (pid 1207201) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
>
> The system hangs because of the resets. The problem repeats time by time.

Well, I don't want to scare you, but the only time I've ever had this
problem was when one of the disks in my RAID array was failing. (I run
RAID 0 which is, of course, asking for trouble) I'm sure that there are
other things that can cause this, but I only saw it during my disk
failure. The drive would try to read for a while, fail, and cause a SCSI
bus reset which would require a reboot. (If your root drive isn't a SCSI
device AND if you have SCSI support loaded as a module, just removing
and re-loading the SCSI module SHOULD work.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837