Re: Sarge is trying to remove Netscape

Colin: thanks for the info. I have the feeling that
Netscape is not the only critical application that
has been broken as I note (but have not yet read) a
messages about compupic further down the page. Your
answer that others have seen and fixed the problem
is comforting... the last time this happened I had
to downgrade all the way to woody for 6 months.

I'll just put a hold on any sarge upgrades until
this shows up.

There are such things as mission critical applications,
those applications for which you simply cannot do
without or cannot invest learning curve time to
changeover. That's one big reason I moved to open
source: I got sick and tired and fed up with
proprietary software vendors pulling the rug from
under me all the time, costing me time and money
and making me spend efforts on installing and
learning their tools instead of doing the work
I actually want to do.

As to Konqueror. Yeah, looks nice, but... Last time I
used it I got my links page eaten in due to
confusion between features in mozilla/netscape
world and it. Figuring out what happend and restoring
from backups cost me a day's work. I never went back.

Another poster noted what total hogs all of these
browsers are. I agree. They totally eat your computer
alive. You have to kill the browser every now and then
because the laptop or workstation becomes slower than
doing it all on paper. They used to even crash X
entirely if you let it go too long. Hopefully someday
there will be a good browser for Linux. Good not
meaning featureful (Galeon is very nice that way): good
meaning respectful of resources, of other processes,
of not crashing...

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"