Re: Transmitting the charset (from the locales / LC_CTYPE) over ssh

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:44:57PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2004-03-29 14:32:06 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > If you find one, let me know :-/ I don't believe there's any easy way.
>
> I think there's still the TERM hack (I used to do that with rlogin
> in the past, to transmit the DISPLAY via the TERM variable). But I
> really don't want to use that if there is a better way.

Can you elaborate?

> If terminals could be asked for their locales with an escape sequence,
> this would be a solution (when being connected to a terminal). Is it
> possible? If not, could this be added as an extension?

I've looked and have not found this in any terminal I've looked at.

One problem is that the remote end may not have the locale you're using,
so you may want to figure out how to degrade gracefully too (which will
often just mean falling back to C).