Weird /dev2/root2 errors trying to boot 2.6.4

I have installed kernel 2.6.4-1-686-smp using apt-get install, but I
have not managed to get it to boot. It gets stuck with these messages
(quoted below from the moment thing start to go wrong):

     mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
     mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
     NTFS driver 2.16 [Flags R/O MODE]
     EFS: 1.0a - http://aeschi.ch.eu.org/efs
     mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
     mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
     mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
     mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
     pivot-root: no such file or directory
     /sbin/init: 347
     cannot open /dev/console: No such file
     Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

There is indeed no such thing as /dev2 directory in my system. In case
this had something to do with devfs (though I really don't know much
about devfs), I added the option "devfs=mount", but it did nothing.

For what it is worth, upon executing lilo I get:
> Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
>     Name change: '/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc' -> '/dev/hde'
> Added Linux_2.6
> Added Linux_2.4 *
> Added Win2000

The hard disk is a SATA device which works fine under 2.4.24 (as
/dev/hde) and under W2K.

Any idea about what's going on?

Thanks!
Nacho de los Ríos