Manual pages and UTF-8

I'm running with an UTF-8 locale and this causes minus signs (dashes)
in many manual pages to become garbled. It only seems to happen in
text in the "italic" style, i.e. the ".I" macro. It also only happens
to bare minus signs; if they are written as "\-", it works fine. Try,
for example, "man jed" with an UTF-8 locale.

Am I doing something wrong? Does it work better for anyone else? Or is
it a bug in these manual pages, or perhaps in man-db or groff?

--
Pelle