Re: kphone

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 04:24:23AM -0500, Thomas Pomber wrote:

> Does anybody out there know how to use kphone?  For
> instance, how do I know what my "User Part of SIP url"
> is, or the host part?  And how do I call someone on
> their home phone (they say you can!)?
>
> Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

A SIP URL is similar to an email address.  What the 'user' and 'host'
parts are depends on whether you are receiving and sending voice traffic
directly to and from your machine or whether you are employing the
services of someone else's SIP server.  In the second case kphone has to
register with that server and for that you will, at the very least, need
permission.

A search on Google with 'VoIP' will give you plenty of information to
occupy a Sunday afternoon but here's something to start you off:

http://www.pulver.com/

kphone is a Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) application using the
Internet.  A home phone is on the public switched telephone network
(PSTN).  Reaching a home phone from khone requires someone to gateway
the call between the two networks and for that there will almost
certainly be a financial cost to you.

Brian.