Re: Inline PGP signatures [was: Re: email signatures]

On Friday 26 March 2004 1:21 pm, Adam Funk wrote:
> On Friday 26 March 2004 12:30, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > What you're seeing is the ASCII armored ('armoured' in the rest of
> > the English speaking world outside of the US :) PGP signature. I
> > don't know if there's a way to 'teach' evolution about them, but if
> > there is I've never found it. If you want to check the validity of
> > a signature that has been encoded inline like that, you should save
> > the message to disk and then manually run 'gpg --verify
> > testmessage.txt'.
>
> Interestingly, KMail and KNode will handle (as far as I know) the
> inline/armoured signatures only.  In other words, they show that
> there is a PGP-signature attachment, but they don't do anything with
> it.

> Anyone know how to fix this?

KMail works fine with either inline PGP (built-in) or with PGP/MIME or
S/MIME if you use the cryptplug plugins:
<http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/cryptplug>. If you install
that and point KMail at the plugins, you can verify PGP/MIME
signatures...

... of course, if you want to do signatures or decrypt stuff with
PGP/MIME, it's a little trickier than that to make it work, because you
also need gpg-agent and a pinentry program, which for some reason I
have never figured out, do not appear to be packaged at all by Debian.
In my case, I grabbed the woody packages from
<http://www.opensides.be/debian> and ported them to unstable.

Actually, now that I think of it, I think I will try to find out why
those haven't been packaged (I know both are GPL licensed)...

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>