Re: apt-get install from testing got me into trouble with perl and libpng

Pete RedHair wrote:

--- Robert Harris
<robertdotfdotharris@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
Pete RedHair wrote:

I suggest you change your /etc/apt/sources.list so
that it references just testing (or sarge) instead of woody or stable
and then do a:
apt-get update
apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Running with a mixture of woody and sarge is always
going to lead to problems.

Robert

Thanks for the advice Robert.

Although i was thinking about it i don't want to do it
now because the server is in production and i don't
have a way of restoring everything very quickly if
something goes wrong or broken.
Everything will be fine if you just make sure to get your sources list right.

I was hopping that there was a way of fixing this and
when i have the necessary resources (time, another hd,
...) i would do this upgrade.
Roberts' advice is the best way to fix it. It takes a lot of coordination and planning to keep a mixed system together, and for a server, it simply isn't worth it. Make it either stable or testing otherwise you are always going to be coming up with these inconsistencies with all your applications.

I think that testing is now "stable" enough to be used
on a internal server, do you agree ?
Yes.
Regards,

David.