Re: Kernel recompile woes

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 04:35:16PM +0000, stdPikachu wrote:
> Hello there, long time lurker, first time poster.
>
> As you may have gathered, I'm having trouble getting a new kernel working
> on my (pretty bog standard) Woody install, which after much trial and
> tribulation got downgraded back to 2.4.18-bf2.4. I'd love to use one of the
> stock kernel images, but can't for several reasons:
> Most don't have support for my 3ware RAID card built in
> None that I've used have support for my motherboard chipset(s) - it's a
> (single K7 CPU) Tyan 2466 with an AMD 460 MPX nbridge and a 462 sbridge
> IIRC, so I'm stuck with PIO for IDE access (argh!) - trying to activate DMA
> with hdparm gives me an error
> I'd like to disable loadable modules support in the interest of security;
> this isn't a prerequisite, but would be nice.
>
> Obviously, the PIO-only is a major issue. Although the bulk of disk access
> is done via the 3ware, the system disk is a bog-standard 30GB IDE drive,
> and any access to it at all thrashes the CPU. So I took the plunge and
> started downloading kernel sources - I've compiled million and one kernels
> for Gentoo, and on the face of it the Debian method seemed much easier.
>
> Kernel sources I've tried include Debian 2.4.18, vanilla 2.4.22 and vanilla
> 2.4.25 (kernels above 2.4.20 supposedly support both my mobo and 3ware card
> better). Kernel configuration was always based on the 2.4.18-bf2.4 .config
> so that I didn't fail to turn on something vital; most modules were
> removed, the few I needed (SMBFS, 3com driver and Natsemi 83820 driver,
> ext2&3) were compiled in statically.

It sounds like you know what you are doing since you have done kernels with
Gentoo.  Why don't you try the 2.4.25 from kernel.org,
take exact notes, and post back here again.

Recently, I have been installing Debian on brand new Dell Poweredge 400SC's
with the gigabit ethernet which requires the e1000 module so I went
straight to 2.4.25 and did not use the Debian kernel-package system.

Something you might try is "make oldconfig" as I have been burned in the
past by not doing this.  By doing make oldconfig, you are made aware of
anything new in 2.4.25.  I bet you find something that you are missing.

The command I then use is:
make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && make install

Hope this helps you!