Re: Installing on an SiI680?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 03:45:49PM -0500, Brad Stockdale wrote:
> Hello all!!
>
>    I'm trying to install Debian on my second computer and have ran into
> some problems... All my hard disks are connected to my computer via an
> SiI680 based PCI IDE controller...

<SNIP>

>    On to the next thing I've been trying... I thought I would compile a
> 2.4.25 kernel and drop it into the Debian 3.0r1 CD image and try to get it
> integrated so I could boot the newer kernel and be able to install...
> Unfortunantly that is proving to be more difficult than I originally
> anticipated...
>
>    Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I continue on the road of
> remastering the Debian CD #1 so I can boot? Is there a way to boot from
> floppies and install from CD? Better still, is there a way to fix the
> 'Cannot read ELF header' error? Or is there a way to backport the siimage
> driver to 2.4.18 so I have a real copy of it?

My new computer last September had a SIL680(onboard). With a 160Gb drive. Much
fun.

I'd advise installing on a other system(remembering you'll probably only be able
to access the first 128GB if you have a large drive), compiling 2.4.25
and moving back the HDD.

Presumably you have an onbroad IDE controller which you could use the
partition(at least the start) of the drive and do the base install.

Another option is that are modules available for the SIL680. Before
2.4.25 came out I was using initrd to load them. IIRC the installer
allows you to use arbitary modules. Otherwise Alt-F2 modprobe with a floppy.

Brian