Re: switching window managers and session managers - update-alternatives ?

Hello Jerry!

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 04:55:28PM -0500, Jerry_Bash@spectral-sys.com wrote:
> I have a question about switching between kde and other window managers
> (blackbox, fluxbox, ion, etc).
> I am interested in learning what is the preferred or intended method of
> switching between kde and other 'more traditional' window managers in
> Debian.
> [...]
> I am using xdm on the system currently, and it doesn't give the user an
> option as I believe is the case with some other login screens.  I am also
> interested in eliminating the graphical login as well, and logging in
> initially to a console and starting x from there.  I would appreciate
> advice on the intended way of switching window managers / session managers
> with that configuration (ie, using startx) as well.

You can select a window / session manager without changing any
configuration by just invoking:
$ startx `which wmaker`
$ startx `which startkde`
$ startx `which <executable>`
or even
$ startx `which xterm`

You can also set up aliases or small scripts to simplify this step:
$ alias xwmaker="startx `which wmaker`"

HTH,
Flo