Re: First Time Install Problems

Paul Johnson wrote:
Tony Anderson <tonys.linux@ntlworld.com> writes:

I'm new to Linux and keen to experience the stability of Debian
particularly.

Welcome to the brave GNU world, my friend!

I had a limited amount of experience of Red Hat 7 a couple
of years back and have recently installed Lindows 4.5 which I beleive Is
based on Debian but appears to be quite restrictive.

Yes, one of the things that makes me steer people away from Lindows
is, by default, you're always root.  Lindows makes roughly the same
mistake that makes a lot of the bugs in Windows possible with that one
step.

Unfortunately it appears as if my NetGear FA311/312 NIC card is not
supported by the Linux kernel, it is using the 'National
Semiconductor Corporation DP83815' driver in Lindows, could someone
please point me to the correct drivers and a howto on installing
them ?

There are no sub-gigabit Ethernet adapters that aren't supported by
Linux.  Thank you for the detail, however, this makes it easier for us
to help you.

That being said, a quick search[1] through Google turned up a web
page[2] that seems to indicate that you want the natsemi kernel module.

[1] http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=DP83815+linux&btnG=Google+Search

[2] http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

Thankyou for the help. I've managed to do a bf24 install this evening from the Woody cd's and 'natsemi' solved my nic problems.

I'm still having trouble getting my SIS 7018 onboard sound to work, i've tried googling which suggested adduser 'myaccount' audio then running modconf and selecting the i810 option. On selecting the i810 all i get is installation failed. Any suggestions ?

I'm also having problems seeing my CDRW drive which was working through a scsi interface in Lindows. I selected SCSI as a module during the install to no avail. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in Advance,
Tony