Re: Promise or 3Ware?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:18:00PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
| On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:58:16PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > Say, what's the difference between a 32-bit/66MHz and a 64-bit/66MHz
| > PCI card?  Are there limitations as to what motherboards they will
| > work on?  This particular machine is an older PII.
|
| AIUI the extra 32 bits are "optional"; a motherboard with 32-bit slots
| should nevertheless be capable of handling 64-bit cards (unless the
| card itself says this won't work).

| If that "older PII" is a 440BX chipset it's definitely capable of
| handling a 64-bit card.

How did you guess?  ;-).  I checked - the motherboard is an Asus
P3B-F.  The manual (found at [1]) says it has an Intel 440BX AGPset
chipset.

Thanks for sharing about the compatibility - I'd rather get the 64-bit
card and know that I'm not jumping in on the hind tail of the
technology curve.

-D

[1] ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/440bx/p3b-f/p3bf-104.pdf

--
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be