Gnome battery applet don't work with normal user account

Hi,

ON my Notebook ASUS L8400B, I've installed Debian Sarge with Gnome 2.4
The Battery Applet works fine, when I'm logged in as root, but not with a
normal user account. Then the following Error message appears:

Can't access ACPI events in /var/run/acpid.socket!

Make sure the ACPI subsystem is working and
the acpid daemon is running.

There is no acpid runnig (in both scenarios) and the doesn't exists
in both situations.

I think it's just a problem of permissions, but which?

Can you hilp me?

Thanks
Sascha