Re: exim - spamassassin? - msexchange

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:46:24AM -0600, Michael Kahle wrote:
| I would like to setup a intermediary mail server that will filter email
| coming in for spam and then reroute the "good" mail to my msexchange server.
| Any suggestions on what I should use to do this?
|
| I am currently thinking that I need to use exim as my mta and spamassassin
| as my filtering program.  Does this sound like a good approach?

Sure.  Another good option is postfix+spamassassin.

| What
| problems should I expect up front so that I can perhaps account for these
| before I change over?

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin/

Be sure that the exim system has access to the complete list of valid
local users and that you reject invalid local users at the front door
rather than trying to pass them on to the internal server.

| Is there a system that would allow users to send an
| email to say nospam@mydomain.com and it could automatically process this
| mail as spam and prevent future delivery?

A better approach is to set up a shared IMAP folder users can save the
mesage to.  The problem with email forwarding is that mail clients
change the message - they put their own headers in the new message and
put some sort of delimiter in/around the original and don't include
all of the original headers.

| Thanks for your time and opinions.

-D

PS.  See also http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/antispam-postfix/

--
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.