Re: mouse freezing in X Windows?

David Piniella wrote:

I'm running a woody unstable box, GUI is X-Windows with XFCE4; my mouse keeps freezing in x-windows. I can use the keyboard to do stuff in xfce (run commands, tab through options, type in an xterm, etc) and if I go to another console (e.g., alt-F2,) and then go back to X-windows (alt-F7) I can use the mouse again...but within a minute or two it'll freeze again.

I've tried "nice X -a -20" to renice the X mouse process but I get an error that the process is already running on :0 ...I don't want to respawn the server...

so my questions are:
why is my mouse freezing (or how can I find out myself?)
and
can I renice a running process? if so, how?

Are you running gpm? If so, is gpm.conf configured to match XF86Config-4? Perhaps try restarting gpm without shelling out to another console when the mouse freezes to see what effect that has.

Perhaps try a different wm for a few minutes to see if the problem occurs there.

Perhaps try a different user for a few minutes to see if the problem occurs there.

--
Kent