Re: Network Card Support

Hello

Andrew Gilberto (<andrew_gilberto_67@hotmail.com>) wrote:

> I've just found that if I install Debian (Woody) and use the default
> install flavour (idepci - I think) - the one you get if you just hit
> return at the boot prompt - I do get support for my network card, all
> works fine. If I use vanilla, I don't. I have an old network card.

This sounds like the driver is built into the idepci kernel, but as a
module for the vanilla kernel. Loading the module via modconf should do
the trick.

> So, I've got a few questions:
> - How can I find out which driver idepci installs (and vanilla
> doesn't)?

dmesg should be able to tell you which driver is used. Or you use
groups.google.com to find out which one you need.

> - How can I then install this in the vanilla flavour? What
> commands do I use to do this?

Run modconf, or add the driver name to /etc/modules. Or add

alias eth0 modulename

to /etc/modutils/aliases and run update-modules.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976