Re: frustrating problem with networking encountered while installing "Woody"

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:44:03AM -0800, Renhao Zhang wrote:

> --- Darik Horn <dajhorn@vanadac.com> wrote:
> >  > In addition to Windows, KNOPPIX networks just fine
> >  > with no problems.
> >
> > If your computer runs Windows 98 and Knoppix properly, then your
> > Debian
> > installation isn't loading drivers for all of your hardware.
>
> This seemed to be the most likely culprit, but I couldn't rule out the
> possiblity that the problem is with the DHCP setup.  Is there anything
> I can try to make sure?

Package 'dhcping' allows you to test responses of a DHCP server. Never
used it though.

If ifconfig -a doesn't show your network card(eth0) the drivers aren't
loaded. Find the module name and add to the end of /etc/modules.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that you could boot
windows, get an IP and use it statically in Debian. There is of course a
chance of an IP addres conflict. For testing its safe though.

Brian

Brian