Re: x server not installed

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:10:49AM +0000, users@linuxforums.org wrote:
> alright i installed debian about a half hour ago
>
> everything went smoothly...i didnt get any errors or anything and i
> rebooted the second time.
>
> type startx and it says
>
> /usr/x11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc no such file or directory
>
> so apparently my x servers in not installed?? lol im really confused
> everything seem to go so smoothly in the install
>
> help  :?
> ----
> .

There are lots of people on this list who can give you specific, useful
advice. My note is here to give you 'moral' support. Debian is a learning
experience. Treasure it. You will be a better, stronger person when you
get X working. But you really won't be a proper 'developer', or even a
'maintainer'. Not to worry. The gods of Debian reveal themselves thru
their mercy. They will help you.

My poor explanation of what to do next: 1. make sure you have proper
setup for downloading and installing Debian packages via apt-get, or
dselect or aptitude. e.g. Try installing the package 'most' in the
Debian way.  2. Install aptitude, if it is not already installed.
3. Use aptitude to scan thru packages. Look for Xwindows and Gnome
stuff.  4. Try installing some of it. Then post more questions.
5. Learn.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com